Request a key
You'll need to request a key in order to use the API or data tools. We offer these out for free but limit your total data consumption to 500 MB. For more information on extending this limit, please take a look at API access for local authorities or developers. If a few people from your organisation request their own key, we may contact you to offer a combined key, but don't worry – it's just a bit of housekeeping!
How to request a key
- Register for an account or sign in to your existing account. It's free and only takes a minute.
- Visit the API's security keys page.
- Check your name appears correctly and tick the checkbox to agree to the terms and conditions.
- Click the 'Create Keys' button.
- Your API keys will now appear on the page.
You can access your keys again at any time by visiting the security keys page. These keys are your for own use and if anyone else uses them, it will count against your data allowance. If you'd like one key for your organisation, please contact us and we'd be happy to set one up!
I have my keys, how do I use the API?
You can build data calls to extract data from the API using our data tool (beginners), or try building your own calls using our web method tool (advanced). Developers may also wish to take a look at our HTML and PHP examples.